Saturday, May 9, 2015

Introduction to this Blog

Some time ago my wife, Linda, and I were watching one of a series of programs on The History Channel called "Suicide Missions". The particular episode focused on pilots of light airplanes, especially O-1 Bird Dogs, and their missions flown in Vietnam and adjoining countries. During the program, watching with wide eyes and open mouth, Linda kept saying things like, "I didn't know that happened" and, "Did you do that?" I admitted that it did and I had.

Her comments made me realize that she never knew the details of what I had done in Vietnam, since I never really talked about it with her or anyone in the family. So I thought that it was about time to explain what it had been like, before I forgot the "hours and hours of boredom interjected with moments of sheer terror". But it obviously wasn't suicide.

What I wrote and gave to everyone in the family was a collection of memories I called "Headhunter: Life In and Out of the Cockpit", remembrances of a special time in my life. Periodically I will post parts of the collection in this blog, but I want to add this caveat: Unless someone who was there shows up and convinces me that something I wrote is in error, this is my story and I'm sticking to it!

4 comments:

  1. Good start Bill. Looking forward to the stories
    Mike Seely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recollections will bring back memories of my time in Phu Bon Province (Cheo Reo) on the Song Ba River doing business as Pteradactyl 26. Some good memories with a sprinkling of bad ones. Definitely some good stories...and they get better with the telling. Troy

    ReplyDelete
  3. good job , Buck. When is the next installment?

    ReplyDelete